Marianne Combs is an American journalist based in the Twin Cities region of Minnesota.
|Add a Photo|
|Awards||Journalist of the Year, 2020 (Minnesota Society of Professional Journalists)|
Life and Career
A veteran reporter with more than fifteen years with the news desk of Minnesota Public Radio, Combs publicly resigned from MPR on September 13, 2020. In an open letter, Combs (a highly respected journalist) accused MPR News editors of blocking a feature story exposing a longtime history of sexual misconduct by DJ Eric Malmberg, a staff member at the MPR station (The Current). This open letter soon went viral, leading to the firing of Malmberg the following day. The scandal led to the resignation of Jon McTaggart, the president of MPR's parent organization American Public Media on September 23, 2020.
Prior to her resignation from MPR, Marianne Combs authored numerous feature stories showcasing investigative journalism, including on 1980s-era sexual abuse at the Minneapolis-based Children's Theatre Company and its legal fallout in the late-2010s.
Marianne Combs in the Media
- Raihala, Ross (14 September 2020). "Longtime MPR reporter Marianne Combs resigns after she says #MeToo allegations against a Current DJ were dismissed". Pioneer Press. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- Considine, Basil (30 September 2020). "Unsafe On Any Stage: Alcoholism And Silence At Theatre In The Round". Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- MPR News Staff. "MPR says DJ Eric Malmberg fired from The Current". 14 September 2020. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- McKinney, Matt and Neal Justin (23 September 2020). "CEO of Minnesota Public Radio's parent organization tells staff he will step down". Star Tribune. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- Combs, Marianne (14 August 2019). "Children's Theatre Company settles with six survivors". Minnesota Public Radio News. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- Combs, Marianne (16 October 2019). "Innocence Lost: Rumors, alarms got nowhere". Minnesota Public Radio News. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- Combs, Marianne (7 October 2019). "Innocence Lost: A culture of abuse". Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- Minnesota Public Radio (10 June 2020). "Congratulations to MPR's 2020 SPJ Page One Award Winners". American Public Media. Retrieved 5 October 2020.