John K. Grande
John K. Grande (born 11 December 1954) is a Canadian author, poet, essayist and curator. He has authored essays for some 40 books, which have appeared in translation in Spanish, French, Czech, Hungarian, Korean and German. His catalogues and articles have appeared in many other languages.
John K. Grande
|Born||11 December 1954|
|Education||MA in Art History|
|Add a Photo|
John K. Grande has contributed extensively to the Canadian and international arts communities over the past 30 years. Specializing in art and ecology his publications include, he's also known for his activities in and surrounding art involved with nature. He has also created poetry on these themes.
Grande has curated Earth Art, Eco-Art and Art and Nature shows that are an extension to his writings. Early shows included Sorel, Quebec; Sackville, New Brunswick and then the Royal Botanical Gardens (Ontario), which he used to express the relation between nature and art, which he has criticized as being seldom integrated into contemporary art. He then went on to curate Eco-Art in various locations around the world, including Finland  and Kathy Venter: Life in Toronto in 2013, followed by Nature Art Spring in Meran; Italy, 2015. More recently he curated the international category of Small Gestures at the Kunsthalle, known as Mucsarnok in Budapest, Hungary in 2016. He also had a workshop at the 2018 Festival for Earth in Venice and participated at the Symposium The Chimney, Brooklyn, NYC in September 2018. He then curated an exhibition in Poland in 2019.
In 2010 John Grande received an Honour Award from the Colorado chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) in the field of Research and Communication for collaboration with Alan Sonfist. The project, featured in Public Art Review where Grande wrote The Lay of Land Art, was undertaken at Snowmass, Colorado on the golf course. Burned trees from forest fires were placed in an assemblage on the golf course. The work is now in a Chicago Museum Collection.Prix Lison Dubreuil, 1994 for Which Public? Whose Art?
Garden Exhibition of the Year 2015, Canadian Garden Council Awards, for Pan Am Earth Art show curated by John K. Grande.
Honorary Doctorate at Pécs Hungary 2015
- Balance: Art and Nature (Black Rose Books, 1994)
- Intertwining: Landscape, Technology, Issues, Artists (Black Rose Books, 1998)
- Jouer avec le feu: Armand Vaillancourt: Sculpteur engagé (Montreal: Lanctot, 2001)
- Art Nature Dialogues (SUNY Press, New York 2003)
- Dialogues in Diversity; Art from Marginal to Mainstream (Pari, Italy 2007)
- Homage to Jean-Paul Riopelle (Prospect Press /Gaspereau Press, 2011)
- Nils-Udo; Sur l’eau (Actes Sud, France, 2015)
- Alice Teichert (Hirmer Verlag, Germany, 2017)
- Daniel Corbeil (Plein Sud, Longueuil, QC. 2018)
- Art, Space, Ecology: Two Views Twenty Interviews (Black Rose Books/University of Chicago, 2018)
- Jason deCaires Taylor - Rising Waters Museo Atlantico (Lanzarote, Spain), 2019
- Ludwika Ogozelec: Space Crystallization Wroclaw Architecture Museum (Wroclaw, Poland) 2019
- Judy Garfin: Natural Disguise (Véhicule Press, Montreal, 1998)
- Nils-Udo: Art with Nature (Wienand Verlag, Koln, Germany 2000)
- Le Mouvement Intuitif (with Patrick Dougherty and Adrian Maryniak, Atelier 340, Bruxelles 2003)
- Natura Humana (with Bob Verschueren, Editions Mardaga, Brussels, 2010).
- The Landscape Changes (With Arnold Shives, Prospect Press / Gaspereau Press, Nova Scotia (2009)
- Homage to Jean-Paul Riopelle Prospect Press / Gaspereau Press (2011)
- Black Peat (illustrated by Alfio Bonanno) Print Factory, Ireland (2012)
- Grass Grows with Thomas May at the Grass Blade Institute in Nuremberg, Germany (2013)
- Towards the Forest; for Edvard Munch (2017)
- Nature is the art we are part of, Tsukuba Museum of Art Ibaraki, 2019.
- Royal Botanical Gardens
- Eco-Art, Pori Art Museum, Pori, Finland, 2011
- Kathy Venter; Life, Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 2013
- Nature Art Spring in Meran, South Tyrol, Italy, 2015
- Small Gestures at the Kunsthalle, Budapest, Hungary 2016
- WORKSHOP - JOHN GRANDE (CANADA), Understanding Connectedness - Art for the Biosphere
- Festival for the Earth, 4 DECEMBER 2018 Le Zattere, Venice, Italy, John Grande - Workshop
- Symposium - September 2018 — The Chimney Brooklyn NYC
- Ludwika Ogorzelec; Space Crystallization, Architecture Museum; Wroclaw, Poland 2019 (a record of conversations with Jaromiar Jedliński, texts by John K. Grande and Marek Czachor)
- [https://www.aslacolorado.org/2010-awards-archive/ ASLA Colorado — 2010 Award Winners, Honor Award for Research and Communication
- [http://www.erudit.org/culture/espace1041666/espace1047768/index.html Prix Lison Dubreuil, 1994 Which Public? Whose Art?
- Garden Council Awards, 2015 for Pan Am Earth Art show curated by John K. Grande.
- Honorary Doctorate at Pécs Hungary 2015
- Balance: Art and Nature, Black Rose Books, Montreal 1994
- Intertwining: Landscape, Technology, Issues, Artists, Black Rose Books, 1998
- Vaillancourt: Sculpteur engagé, Montreal: Lanctot, 2001
- Art Nature Dialogues, SUNY Press, New York 2003
- Dialogues in Diversity; Art from Marginal to Mainstream, Pari, Italy 2007
- Alice Teichert (Hirmer Verlag, Germany, 2017) with an essay by John K. Grande
- Daniel Corbeil Plein Sud 2018
- Art, Space, Ecology; Two Views Twenty Interviews, Black Rose Books/University of Chicago Press, 2019
- Jason deCaires Taylor - Rising Waters, Museo Atlantico, 2019
- Ludwika Ogozelec: Space Crystallization, Wroclaw Architecture Museum, 2019
- Judy Garfin: Natural Disguise, Véhicule Press, Montreal, 1998
- Le Mouvement Intuitif; Patrick Dougherty and Adrian Maryniak Atelier 340, Bruxelles 2003
- Natura Humana; Bob Verschueren, Editions Mardaga, Brussels, 2010
- [http://landart.lubelskie.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Land-Art-Festival-2016-John-K.-Grande-EN.pdf Homage to Jean- Paul Riopelle, Prospect Press / Gaspereau Press (2011)]