|Other name||Haines Normal and Industrial Institute|
Haines Normal and Industrial Institute also known as Haines Institute was a school for African Americans in Augusta, Georgia. It was established by Lucy Craft Laney and named in honor of a benefactor who funded its expansion. A historical marker was added to the school site in 2009. It eventually became Lucy Craft Laney High School.
Laney opened a school with a few students in 1883. She served as the school's principal. Chartered in 1886, it was expanded with a kindergarten and junior college (Lamar School of Nursing). By 1928, it had more than 800 students. The school also served as a community center.
Photographs of the school were gathered bt W.E.B. Du Bois and Thomas J. Calloway for the American Negro Exhibit at the Paris Exposition of 1900 (Exposition universelle internationale de 1900). In 1928, negotiation were engaged to have Du Boos speak at the school.
It was supported by the Presbyterian Board of National Missions. A.C. Griggs served as president of the school.
A sewing, laundry, and printing were taught in building on the campus. An entty on the school appeared in James T. Haley's Afro-American Encyclopaedia. 
- "Haines Normal and Industrial Institute".
- "CONTENTdm". vault.georgiaarchives.org.
- "Haines Normal and Industrial Institute". The PBS Blog.
- "Lucy Craft Laney (1854-1933)". New Georgia Encyclopedia.
- "Haines Normal and Industrial Institute Historical Marker". www.hmdb.org.
This article "Haines Institute" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.