Eagle and Pearl
|Eagle & Pearl|
|Industry||Luxury Goods & Jewelry|
Fort Collins, Colorado,
Eagle & Pearl Jewelers (colloquially known as Eagle & Pearl) is an American jewelry retailer headquartered in Colorado. In 2019, it celebrated its 275th anniversary and is one of the world's oldest jewelry stores still in operation. It sells rare Welsh gold, gemstone and unique designer sterling silver jewelry. Eagle & Pearl is known for its Welsh gold jewelry, particularly its diamond 1854 Am Byth Ring and Enchanted Forest Locket made by Clogau of Wales. These goods are sold online at their Eagle & Pearl online store.
Eagle & Pearl was founded in 1744 by the jouaillier (high jeweler) Peter Parquot, a French descendant, whose tradecards were written in English and French and whose family had relocated to England from France in the early 1700's. Eagle & Pearl has remained a family owned business since its founding and the current co-owner is Peter's 6th great grandson . The family moved the business from the U.K. to the U.S in 2005, moving away from traditional brick and mortar stores to online retail. At present, Eagle & Pearl operates only in the United States.
Founded in 1744 by Peter Parquot in London, United Kingdom, as a "jouaillier & orfeure" (high jeweler and goldsmith), with the sum of 800 British pounds bequeathed to him on 9 June 1743 by Jean Maillefaud, the brother of his wife Susanna Patras Maillefaud, who was a granddaughter of Jean Jacques Maillefaud, a Counselor to King Louis XIV. The money left to Peter by Jean financed his first store on Kings Road, facing Nassau Street, in St. Ann's, London. Peter began his apprenticeship as a jeweler with Andrew Mayaffre, a French jouaillier, in Covent Garden, London, on 28 November, 1730. In 1744, Eagle and Pearl produced jewelry in house for noble exiles from France and accepted purchases on credit, but moved later to accept both credit and cash, and in the 1750's priced jewelry with fixed prices, a practice first introduced in 1750 by Palmer's of London Bridge.
Parquot was known to have created a ring with a large brilliant diamond named the Maillefaud ring, and in the 1761 will of his wife Susanna she bequeaths a ring as described, along with several others, to her daughter Susanna, and to another a collection of rings, one described as emerald with four brilliant diamonds All of significant historic value to the company.
In 1772, an Eagle & Pearl store was opened at No. 9, Eagle and Pearl, opposite Brook Street in Holborn, London, which was operated until 1802 by Jewelers Richard and Letitia Clarke, and between 1790 and 1793, a relative of Richard, M. Clarke, is a jeweler at the same address.
1802 - 2002
Eagle & Pearl operated locally in London, U.K.
2002 - 2005
The current owners inherited Eagle & Pearl and in 2002 purchased a 10 year lease on a retail space in Lincoln, U.K. After extensive renovations to the Lincoln property, the lease for the property was sold and the company became an online retailer.
2005 to Present
In 2005, The current owners relocated from England to the United States, moving the Eagle & Pearl operation to the U.S., which currently imports and sells jewelry made by designers, such as Clogau and Kit Heath, from the United Kingdom 
- "Collections Search | British Museum". The British Museum.
- The London Goldsmiths: The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths. London, England. pp. 61. https://books.google.com/books?id=3iY9AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=london+goldsmiths+peter+parquot&source=bl&ots=LWBoe3epUF&sig=ACfU3U1wiTTHWYe08NXz7bF_gw-8xcwoQg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjF97zJsovsAhVQiqwKHXW3ChoQ6AEwEHoECAIQAQ#v=onepage&q=london%20goldsmiths%20peter%20parquot&f=false
- British Museum. Article reference: Heal, 67.312. Copy of Peter Parquot tradecard from 1744. https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/search?agent=Peter%20Parquot
- The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths: The London Goldsmiths. London, England. pp. 61. https://books.google.com/books?id=3iY9AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=peter+parquot+jeweller&source=bl&ots=LWBod1gmSE&sig=ACfU3U2kBfCJun-um9fUVRQyLPnd9P463A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjVlL_l-YfsAhVUJ80KHVjXABEQ6AEwD3oECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=peter%20parquot%20jeweller&f=false
- Ancestry.com. The Will of Jean Featherston Maillefaud. Probate date 9 June 1743. https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/5111/images/40611_311212-00145?pId=214285
- Ancestry.com: Copy of apprenticeship record for Peter Parquot, dated 1730. https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/1851/images/GB1337-04681?pId=420538
- Ancestry.com: Will of Susanna Patras Parquot (nee Maillefaud). Probate date 21 August 1761. https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/5111/images/40611_311249-00570?pId=574948
- Sir Ambrose Heal (1972): Signboards of Old London Shops: Benjamin Blom, Inc, New York. pp. 74.
- The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths: The London Goldsmiths. pp. 151. https://books.google.com/books?id=3iY9AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA151-IA1&lpg=PA151-IA1&dq=william+park+fisher+eagle+and+pearl&source=bl&ots=LWBod4moVD&sig=ACfU3U2BaK6c9uVGEEHL4HvvQZBbAnercQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjT5enggInsAhUTac0KHdzQAVcQ6AEwBHoECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=william%20park%20fisher%20eagle%20and%20pearl&f=false
- British Museum. Article reference: Heal, 67.142. Copy of 1760 Tradecard for William Park Fisher at Eagle and Pearl, Covent Garden. https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/P_Heal-67-142
- "Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 25.djvu/60 - Wikisource, the free online library". en.wikisource.org.
- British Museum. Article Reference: Heal, 67.85. Copy of 1774 tradecard of Richard Clarke at Eagle and Pearl. https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/BIOG213420
- "print; trade-card | British Museum". The British Museum.
- Sir Ambrose Heal (1972): Signboards of Old London Shops. pp.73.
- British Museum. Article Reference: Heal, 67.83. Copy of tradecard of M. Clarke at Eagle and Pearl. https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/P_Heal-67-83
- Official website
- Eagle & Pearl on Facebook
- Eagle & Pearl on Twitter
- Eagle & Pearl on Instagram
- Eagle & Pearl on Pinterest
This article "Eagle and Pearl" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.