|Net worth||US$1.7 billion (2019)|
Calvin Lo (Chinese: 盧啟賢) is a Hong Kong based billionaire entrepreneur, investor, and philanthropist. Lo is best known for his company, R.E. Lee International, the world’s largest and considered as the most successful life insurance broker company. He has also founded a wealth management company, R.E. Lee Capital, that manages portfolios for HNI and businesses.
Calvin Lo’s net worth is estimated at US$1.7 billion by Forbes. He is Asia’s largest collector of champagnes and has gained media attention for his US$230 million champagne order during his France visit in 2018.
Calvin Lo joined his family owned R.E. Lee International, a business empire founded in 1954. The company works as a life insurance brokerage firm, that offers business succession planning and financial decisions for heirs and estate planning for ultra HNIs. Lo expanded the business into asset management and founded R.E. Lee Capital. The firm now manages over US$8 billion assets.
In 2018, LO bought the Mandarin Oriental Taipei, a five star luxurious hotel in the heart of Taipei, Taiwan, for US$1.24 billion. The deal covered the hotel building and its 149,446.13 square feet land.
In 2020, through his private investment company, R.E. Lee Octagon, Lo successfully acquired the legendary motor racing team Williams Grand Prix Holdings, or Williams F1, for US$100 million.
Wealth and philanthropy
In 2019, Lo was ranked by Forbes as the 43rd richest person in Hong Kong with an estimated net worth of US$1.7 billion. Public filings show that Lo has set up different charitable trusts in the Cayman Islands worth US$245 million for his philanthropic initiatives.
Lo also worked closely with the Jane Goodall Institute from 2006 to 2018 as their board member. He is a strong advocate and undertaken a wide range of efforts for welfare of animals, community and environment.
During Covid pandemic in 2020, Lo donated US$13 million, thousands of masks and sanitizers to help needy and less fortunate people in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Wuhan.
Lo rarely appears in the media and is often named as Hong Kong's most eligible bachelor.
- Vigo, Julian. "How New Technology Affects Our Consumption Of Art And Media". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-06-30.
- "Hong Kong's Most Under-the-Radar Billionaire: Calvin Lo". Entrepreneur. 2018-11-02. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "Billionaire Investor: Calvin Lo". in.style.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "Inside the world of life insurance brokers". Business Matters. 2020-03-25. Retrieved 2020-03-26.
- "R.E. Lee Capital CEO Calvin Lo's Net Worth reaches US$1.7 Billion". NetNewsLedger. 2020-02-25. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "The secretive billionaire: Calvin Lo". London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com. 2018-11-23. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "Hong Kong's Most Under-the-Radar Billionaire: Calvin Lo". Retail News Asia. 2018-11-22. Retrieved 2020-06-13.
- "台北文華東方傳大裁員！資遣一半員工 暫不接受訂房｜東森財經新聞". 東森財經新聞 (in 中文). Retrieved 2020-06-13.
- "Mandarin Oriental mum on talk of ownership change - Taipei Times". www.taipeitimes.com. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- "Hidden Billionaire Funding Growth". newswire.net. 2020-04-11. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- ETtoday新聞雲. "「神秘高帥巨富」385億買下台北文華東方！失婚情史被起底…前女友是廖碧兒 | ETtoday星光雲". star.ettoday.net (in 中文). Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "How the Wealthy Uses Social Media". TNT Magazine. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "Estate Planner to the Ultra High Net Worth: Calvin Lo". International Business Times, Singapore Edition. 2020-06-12. Retrieved 2020-06-13.
- Nicoll, Will. "Who Owns Dorilton, The Company Behind Formula 1's Most Mysterious Acquisition?". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-10-03.
- Nicoll, Will. "Formula 1's Most Mysterious M&A: More Potential Clues On Williams' New Owner". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-10-03.
- EBR, Editor (2020-09-24). "The New Owner of Legendary Williams F1". The European Business Review. Retrieved 2020-10-03.
- Vigo, Julian. "How New Technology Affects Our Consumption Of Art And Media". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "Calvin Lo's long distance philanthropy succeeds | | Express Digest". Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "These Asians Are Crazy Rich, And Crazy Generous". Vulcan Post. 2019-01-21. Retrieved 2020-05-18.
- "Billionaires Stepping Up to Fight Covid-19". In NewsWeekly. Retrieved 2020-05-17.
- "Understanding new generation of charitable Chinese: Calvin Lo's long distance philanthropy succeeds". EconoTimes. 2020-05-19. Retrieved 2020-06-17.
- "The Most Impressive Acts Of Charity By Famous People". International Business Times, Singapore Edition. 2020-05-15. Retrieved 2020-05-16.
- "Hongkong Actress Bernice Liu's Billionaire Boyfriend Splurges S$323mil On Champagne". 8 Days. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "Inside the World of Hong Kong Billionaire Investor Calvin Lo". LUXUO. 2019-03-05. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "The Allure of Billionaires". Vulcan Post. 2018-12-17. Retrieved 2020-06-13.