|Born||December 22, 1973|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (175 cm)|
|Relatives||Stewart Cooper (brother)|
Bershan Shaw (born 22 December 1973) is an American serial entrepreneur, business & life coach, motivational speaker, author, podcast host and real estate developer and owns multiple real estate properties & CEO Tech Founder of Urawarrior app. She is the founder of Warrior Training International (WTI), a leadership and business development organization that helps enterprises to scale their businesses by offering interactive training solutions.
Shaw is regarded as America's #1 Female Motivational Speaker and has shared the stage with numerous prolific people including Les Brown, Tony Robbins, and Pitbull. Shaw is best known as a two times cancer survivor and is highly acclaimed for her unwavering zest to conquer life and motivate others in the process. She is considered to have a net worth of over 20 million.
Shaw, throughout her career, has been an advocate for women’s empowerment and has indulged in the upliftment of women across the world with her Unstoppable Warrior Women Movement and the pledge 15 initiative. She is also a member of the Forbes Coaching Council, Women In Communications, and Women on the Rise organizations.
Shaw is the author of the best selling book Unstoppable Warrior Woman and Urawarrior:365 Ways to Challenge you to a better Life and is the recipient of the BET Honors Trailblazer & Unstoppable Survivor Award. She has also been honored by the Women Economic Forum and World Thriver/Survivor Beauty Cares Dream Ball. She has been featured in several media outlets, podcasts, and TV shows including HuffPost, The New York Post, Black Enterprise, Forbes, Yahoo, and others.
Early life and education
Bershan Shaw was born on 22 December 1973. She was raised by her mother and father in Fort Washington, MD Prince George’s County but unfortunately her mother’s life was taken by stage 4 breast cancer. Her father, who is amongst the first black millionaires in Washington, DC, owner of three Construction companies. Shaw, while growing up, was highly influenced by her father, who is a two times cancer survivor. Ten years later she was diagnosed with the same breast cancer but survived and came to carry out her dreams of helping people with cancer, mental health and technology with the Bernice Foundation.
In 1991, Shaw enrolled in Syracuse University where she pursued a Bachelor’s in Science, and then went to the New York University to acquire her Masters of Communications/Business degree. Shaw graduated in 1997 and then, later in 2020 enrolled in Harvard Business School for a year-long leadership development program.
Shaw started her career in 1995 when she joined Diamond Construction, her father’s construction firm as a VP. After working for over two years here, Shaw became a production assistant and writer for the Today Show, where she served for over three years.
In 2000, Shaw joined Dan Klores Public Relations for the Arts as an account executive. After working for a year here, she started working at Judith Ageism on a similar post, where she stayed for over two years.
In 2007, Shaw established the Haven Restaurant and Lounge, a renowned place in New York, where she is currently working. In 2009, Shaw founded Warrior Training International (WTI), a full-service training & media consulting firm known for training business executives and helping them scale their businesses. At WTI she also regulated several diversity inclusion and motivational events to help regulate the workspaces and improve the overall ROI by empowering the employees.
In 2012, Shaw became a TV personality on the Oprah Winfrey Network and has since then addressed several media events as well as talk shows, sharing her transformative journey and empowering the listeners. In 2014, Shaw launched her URAWARRIOR.com, a startup firm to help people deal with life-altering challenges in their life.
In 2020, Shaw birthed Urawarrior app from the need of many people dealing with depression, fear, loneliness & anxiety from the Covid pandemic and her family dealing with mental health issues.
Shaw is also the author of the Bestselling book Unstoppable Warrior Woman that tells the stories of 40 amazing women coming from all different backgrounds.
Awards and recognition
Shaw is the recipient of the BET Honors Trailblazer & Unstoppable Survivor Award and was also honored by the Women Economic Forum, and World Thriver/Survivor Beauty Cares Dream Ball. Shaw even acquired the ‘Unstoppable’ title from HuffPost because of her unwavering zest to pull through the pain, trauma, adversity, and struggles.
Shaw was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer in 2007. In 2009 it escalated to Stage 4 terminal breast cancer and was given 3 months to live. Despite such adversity, Shaw beat the odds and is currently thriving and motivating others to do the same.
Shaw’s younger brother Jerro Shaw Jr. died in his sleep and her older brother Stewart Cooper lives in Florida.
In the media
- "Bershan Shaw | , United States, New York, New York City | 500Speakers". 500speakers.com. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- Moore, Camille (27 September 2020). "10 Things You Didn't Know about Bershan Shaw". TVOvermind. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "Bershan Shaw Biography | Booking Info for Speaking Engagements". www.allamericanspeakers.com. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- Alex, Brenda (18 September 2020). "Who Is Potential 'RHONY' Newbie, Bershan Shaw?". Showbiz Cheat Sheet. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "Bershan Shaw". conference.iamempowered.com. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "Bershan Shaw talks "Real Housewives of New York" and staying motivated in trying times". WJLA. 20 July 2021. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "Buckle Up with Bershan Shaw on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "Bershan Shaw reacts to fans who think this season of 'Real Housewives of New York City' is 'boring'". www.yahoo.com. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "Bershan Shaw Admits She "Went Too Far" In Her 'RHONY' Fight With The Other Women". Bustle. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- Hirsch, Chelsea (14 July 2021). "Bershan Shaw gives her best life advice after explosive 'RHONY' fight". Page Six. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "RHONY: Everything You Need to Know About Bershan Shaw". ScreenRant. 15 March 2021. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- Brody, Lanae (17 July 2021). "'RHONY's Bershan Shaw Responds To Cast Firing Speculation: 'Nobody Wants To Get The Axe'". Hollywood Life. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "'RHONY': Bershan Shaw on Taking It 'Too Far' With Sonja Morgan and What Comes Next (Exclusive) | Entertainment Tonight". www.etonline.com. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "Bershan Shaw". IMDb. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "Olympic & Bundy: Motivational Speaker and TV Personality Bershan Shaw". FOX 11 Los Angeles. 19 August 2019. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "Bershan Shaw". www.amazon.in. Retrieved 9 September 2021.
- "Bershan Shaw | WEF". wef.org.in. 14 October 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2021.