Albert G. Zeufack, PhD, is a Cameroonian economist currently serving as the World Bank Chief Economist for Africa. His role cuts across development, public policy, private investments, spear-heading high-level economic analytical work for development projects, investment decisions and policy in Africa. His key areas of focus include macro and fiscal policy, natural resource management, digital innovation, gender empowerment for impact, youth and jobs, climate change and trade and regulatory policy in emerging markets across Africa and Asia. He founded and is the convener of the Chief Economists of Government Initiative, a network of economists consulting with governments in emerging markets.
Dr Albert G. Zeufack
|Add a Photo|
|Education||University of Clermont Ferrand-France|
|Years active||1997 - Present|
|Title||World Bank's Chief Economist for Africa|
Dr. Zeufack has as PhD in economics from CERDI, the University of Clermont-Ferrand (France) where he lectured prior to joining the World Bank and a Master’s Degree in Economic Analysis and Policy from the University of Yaoundé (Cameroon). Additionally, attaining his Executive Education from Harvard University and Stanford University.
Albert Zeufack launched his career at the World Bank in 1997 in the Macroeconomics Division of the Research Department. In 2016, he was appointed into his current position as Chief Economist for Africa for the World Bank.
He has also been invited on several panels to share his experiences and learnings from a continued lifetime of studying Africa's challenges, patterns and key economic growth opportunities. Zeufack was interviewed by Deutsche Welle (DW) to share his analytical findings about Africa's predicted recession as result of the 2019 COVID-19 pandemic and regularly gives such talks and participates in interviews discussing an array of topics native to African economics.
Some of Zeufack's publications and notable works include the following;
- Hosting the AFRONOMICS podcast. Starting it in April 2017, Zeufack has hosted at least 18 episodes inviting high profile guests such as Punam Chuhan-Pole (lead author at Africa's Pulse), Professor Njuguna Ndung’u (former Governor of the Kenyan Central Bank), Acha Leke (the Chairman of McKinsey’s Africa Region), Dr. Arkebe Oqubay (the Senior Minister and Special Advisor to the Prime Minister of the Federal Republic of Ethiopia) and many more. They discuss an array of topics, trends and events affecting African economies.
- Zeufack also co-authors publishes several reports and research papers on the most pressing issues facing Africa through his Office of the Chief Economist, Africa Region (AFRCE) at the World Bank. Some of the most celebrated ones include the visual summary of "Accelerating Poverty Reduction in Africa Report," "Profiting from Parity: Unlocking the Potential of Women's Business in Africa," "Borrow with Sorrow? The Changing Risk Profile of Sub-Saharan Africa's Debt" amongst some others"
- He has also been interviewed by one of South African leading news broadcasters, the SABC sharing insights on his Future of Work report, CNBC Africa, RFI amongst others. Of note, Zeufack's October 2020 Africa Pulse Report which revealed that the continent was expected to face it's first major recession in 25 years as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic earned global attention. He was once again invited to discuss such insights by the following South African media outlets, SABC, Business Day TV, MoneyWeb and CNBC Africa.
- Zeufack's World Bank reports have been cited by the United Nations response to the COVID-19 pandemic|United Nations' general response to COVID-19 and also more specifically the July 2020 response.
- "Office of the Chief Economist, Africa Region (AFRCE)". World Bank. Retrieved 2020-12-03.
- "Albert G. Zeufack". World Bank. Retrieved 2020-12-03.
- Welle (www.dw.com), Deutsche. "Profile | DW". DW.COM. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "Interview of Dr. Albert Zeufack, World Bank's Chief Economist for Africa". Africa Policy Journal. 2019-12-31. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "AFRONOMICS - A Podcast Series". World Bank. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "Office of the Chief Economist, Africa Region (AFRCE)". World Bank. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "Accelerating Poverty Reduction in Africa: In Five Charts". World Bank. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "World Bank's Albert Zeufack on drivers for the future of work".
- "World Bank's Albert Zeufack speaks on African governments' policy responses to COVID-19".
- "Sub-Sahara recession | Region's economies to shrink 3.3% in 2020, says World Bank".
- "WATCH: Sub-Saharan Africa to suffer first recession in 25-years – World Bank".
- "Does Africa still appeal as the next frontier for investment?". Moneyweb. 2020-10-08. Retrieved 2020-10-13.